Saturday, August 24, 2019

A Scripture-Based Prayer Life


A Scripture-Based Prayer Life
Let’s face it, without faith, prayer is senseless. Appealing to a higher power in times of distress or abandonment is nonsense, if there is not a God to listen and act on your behalf. Therefore, in order for prayer to be effective in any instance, it requires belief and trust on the part of the person praying
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. (James 1:5-6)
Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. (Mark 11:24)
But, can I pray for anything I want? What limitations are there on the kind of prayer I can offer up? Well, let’s see what the Bible has to say on this topic.
You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. (James 4:3)
So, now that you know that you must pray, fully believing that God will answer you. And have a good reason for your request; let’s see how you can be more effective in your prayer life. 
Often times we are troubled and weary. We realize a prayer to our Heavenly Father will help us deal with the situation we are in. But how should we pray? What should we say?
One way to help is to first look to God’s Word for comfort and strength. For this purpose, it is best to have a collection of verses listed in your Bible that deal with various situations. That way, you can readily flip to the passage that gives you assurance and read it first.
Then, use the words of the scripture to amplify your own feeble words in a more powerful, meaningful prayer to God.
Let’s say you are feeling bullied or tortured by worldly people. You might turn to Matthew 5:12 for encouragement.
Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Then, you could pray with more confidence something like this:
O Lord, You are my God and my Rock. I need you right now to build my confidence. I know evil men persecuted your prophets in times past. So, as I endeavor to also spread Your gospel today, to be a Light for the World to see You, I pray that I will rejoice and be exceedingly glad for this opportunity, for I know that great is my reward in heaven. I will not be moved by their taunting words of hatred and anger. For when I am criticized or reviled for being a Christian, I know You will bless me. For the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon me. While others may speak evil of You, I will always glorify You. And I will always be what you need me to be. Continue to use me in Your mission of saving souls. In Jesus’ beloved name. Amen.

There might be a time when it seems the whole world has come crashing down on you. So many bad things are going on around you that you feel overwhelmed. Fearful you might lose hope. I suggest you read James 1:2-4 for comfort.
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing…
Now that your spirit has been buoyed, you can pray with the understanding that this is a good thing that you’re going through. It’s a test that you can accomplish. So, with renewed zeal for God and His charge to you, you might petition Him this way:
Oh, my eternal Father and Restorer of my soul, I realize that this fiery trial that I am experiencing is not an unusual event. But rather, an occasion to rejoice because I am counted worthy to suffer, because I believe in you. May Your glory be revealed in me. I will be glad with exceeding joy. I will be patient and happily endure this trial, this test of my faith. I want to be tested and ready when You need me most. I will praise You in all I do and say. Thank you for always being here beside me whenever I need you. In Your Son’s precious name I pray these words through Him unto You, Oh God. Amen.
Remember, when Jesus was tempted and tried by Satan, He prayed to His Father for strength and comfort. So, also, as His children, we should seek strength and comfort from Our Heavenly Father.


Michael Choate

No comments:

Post a Comment